I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in November.

Q: I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in november and started on metfoemin 500mg bid. Aince then i have loat 40 pounds now weighing 176. I eat a 1200 calorie diet. Under 20 grams of carbs per meal, 15 for snacks, only complex carbs, and nothing over nine grams of sugar. Recently i have been experiencing episodes of hypoglycemia under 70. The doctor says that my diet is to restrictive, however i fell that the medication should be reduced. Blood sugars are always under 150. I alao exercise six daus a week veey intensely. Your thoughts? Is the diet to restrictive or do the meds need to be decresed?

Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.com
Yes from your history your diet definitely seems very restrictive although I appreciate you have been strictly able to follow it correctly.
You need to have at least 1500 calories diet and also reduce your vigorous workout. Also, the metformin can be reduced to 250 mg bid and you can observe the readings after a month.

Please understand I appreciate your strict diet intake but you also exercise a lot and hence the calorie has to be increased to 1500.

Hope this was helpful,
Feel free to discuss further.

Patient: Will increasing to 1500 calories inhibit the weight loss. I still need to lose about 30 more pounds to be a healthy weight.
Doctor: No, it won't make you gain weight in anyway. Just ensure you're walking 20-30 minutes daily.
And take your meals on time. Please remember, hypoglycemia is more dangerous than hyperglycemia.