Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I was in a bike accident last month and broke

I was in a bike accident last month and broke

Patient: I was in a bike accident last month and broke my fall on my elbow and wrist. My wrist is extremely sore. My elbow is bruised and bloody. I can move my fingers & rotate my wrist but it’s painful. When I press my hand down forward and back it hurts. The round bone that sticks out on my wrist & the area around it’s where I am experiencing the most pain. I have not seen a doctor bc I think it’s just sprained? Should I go see someone? How long til it will heal if it’s just an extreme sprain? Thanks!

Doctor: Thank you for writing to us.You may have damaged a nerve and the swelling around the nerve is making movement tough. Other possibilities are carpal tunnel syndrome which is a tight space in the forearm and causes the problem. I think that you should see a Doctor and get the diagnosis. Not being able to move your hand is a grave symptom and you should take it seriously. All the best.Hope this helps you.