I was in a car accident in January I suffered

Q: I was in a car accident in January. I suffered a knee injury. My knee went through the fuse box of my car. I had to have stitches on my knee cap. I have had problems with it ever since. It aches so bad. All over my knee Front and back. Sometimes even down the front of my leg or my chin. I dont have the money to pay the co-pay or I would go see a doctor. Please help me by giving me an idea of what it could be or what you think I need to do. Thank you very much. My name is Victoria

Symptoms:  Aches and Pains all through my knee and down my chin.

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

It is possible that you have an injury to the ligament or the bone. And since you are also hypothyroid, the healing is delayed. If you have a ligament injury, you can expect a recovery time of up to an year.

Here is what you can do.

Rest the leg. If you have to walk, then use crutches.
Ice the knee for 15 mins every hour
Compress the knee using a knee sleeve or with a crepe bandage
Elevate the knee under 2 pillows to reduce the swelling

Also, you can warm the area and massage it to reduce the pain. When the pain is unbearable, take tablet Paracetamol to help you reduce the pain. Hope this helps you. All the best.