Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I was punched very hard in the jaw and repeatedly

I was punched very hard in the jaw and repeatedly

Patient: I was punched very hard in the jaw and repeatedly punched in the chin and face. My cheek and chin are swollen. I couldn’t open my mouth yesterday, but can a little today. I can not chew and my teeth feel out of place. Could it be a fracture.? Could it just be swelling. There is constant pain.

Doctor: Thank you for writing to us.I think that you have injuries to the face. You can try RICE to help you. RICE stands fo r:Rest the area and don’t continue boxing or fighting for some timeIce the area for 15 mins at a time every hourCompress the area – Not possible in most cases of the faceElevate the head with several pillows to allow blood flow back to the heart.Use Paracetamol as well to reduce the swelling as well.Hope this helps you. All the best.