I was recently diagnosed with a knee injury but would

Patient

Q: I was recently diagnosed with a knee injury but would like a secong opinion.Ok so ever since I was in a car accident in 2012 my knee has continued to give me problems. It gives out to the point where I can't walk and lately has got to the point where I fell a couple times. I now have a hard cast up my leg because i was standing on my one leg with the bad knee, it gave out causing my foot to swell and when i got the x-ray done itvwas a fractuted foot. What could be causing this?

Doctor

A:   Welcome to Ask The Doctor.
We are here to help you.

You seem to have developed from Knee ligament injury following the trauma that you had following 3 years back. However, this can be unrelated also. We need to evaluate you for anterior or posterior cruciate ligament injury.
In such scenario, I would advise you to get MRI of Knee joint done. Also, you should get your Serum Calcium and Vitamin D levels.
For knee pain i would advise you to do knee and quadriceps strengthening exercises which will strengthen your quadriceps muscles and will give support to your knee joint. Along with this you should do hot fomentation of the knee.Apply diclofenac ointment locally if you have severe pain.
If any ligament injury is found on clinical examination and MRI, you would require to get arthroscopic repair of the ligament done.
Share my opinion with your doctor before acting upon it.

I hope it helps.
Stay Healthy.