Ask The Doctor > Pending > I was recently in Hawaii on my honeymoon and Saturday,

I was recently in Hawaii on my honeymoon and Saturday,

Patient: I was recently in Hawaii on my honeymoon and Saturday, May 16 was spent swimming in the ocean and snorkeling. That evening I noticed mild vaginal irritation and redness, but figured it was just a reaction to so much time in salt water. It progressively got worse from there. By Monday I was in nearly excruciating pain and the pain has only gotten worse. I have blisters, scabs, and a lot of discharge and severely excruciating pain. I am unable to walk. Urinating is near torture. I went to an urgent care center as soon as I got back home from vacation, which was Wednesday May 20 and the doctor told me it looked like a first genital herpes outbreak because I have blisters. She took swabs and I got a blood test. She inserted a vaginal steroid to reduce my swelling and yeast infection medication in case that’s the issue. She also wrote me a prescription for Percocet to manage the pain. I have been running an average fever of 100.5 since Tuesday May 19. My blood test results came back today completely negative for both types of herpes. What other vaginal infections can result in something this severe besides genital herpes? I am in a lot of pain. The swab results won’t be in until tomorrow but I am scared I have a bad infection that will need antibiotics as soon as possible. I have a lot of painful blisters, discharge, and oozing. The nearest time I could get an appointment with my gynecologist is Tuesday May 25. I normally am not a worry wort, but the pain is debilitating.

Doctor: