Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I was riding My bike and I turned my head

I was riding My bike and I turned my head

Patient: I was riding My bike and I turned my head to look at something and hit a pole. My neck got a little whiplashed but i’m not sure if there is any real damage. Getting jaw pain in the upper left side right under the back of the ear. No problems breathing as I can tell and I can remember everything. No headaches just a little soreness in my neck. What kind of injury should I look out for and is it okay to sleep on it?

Doctor: Thank you for writing to us.I do not think that you should sleep on the injury. It is ok to sleep though. If the inj ury was severe and you lost consciousness at all, you should go to the ER to get it checked up. Also, see a Doctor if you get a fever or headache or lose consciousness.I believe that you have a muscle strain. A muscle strain is one in which there is catch in the muscle that causes a lot of problems. To treat this, you can try RICE.Rest the neck. Do not move it much and use a neck brace if needed.Ice the neck or warm it for 15 mins every hour till the swelling is reduced.Immobilise the neck with a neck brace. Do not apply too much pressure to allow for blood flowElevate the head with 2 pillows to allow the blood to flow from the neck to the heart.See a Doctor if the pain lasts for 3 days.Hope this helps you. All the best.