I was throwing a baseball and I noticed I couldn't throw hard.

Q: I was throwing a baseball and I noticed I couldn't throw as hard as I could it didn't hurt at this time when I was playing catch. Later when i was just started practice after just playing catch my arm was in so much pain. I needed help from my other arm to pick up my catchers mask. It was in my arm but there was the most pain in my elbow. It felt fine like 30 minutes after. But I just wanna know what it might be. I'm not one to complain about pain. i need to know what i should do.

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

It is possible that you have strained a muscle. Straining of a muscle happens when it is overused.

You can try the following to help you out:
- Rest the arm. This means to stop playing baseball and to stop carrying heavy weights.
- Ice the arm for 15 mins at the affected area and keep it off ice for 45 mins. Repeat this 5 times a day
- Compress the swelling by using a Crepe bandage
- Elevate the shoulder to allow the blood flow to return to the heart
- You can take Ibuprofen tablets for pain relief
- Massage will also help to reduce the pain and swelling

If the pain doesn't go away, you should see a Doctor immediately.

I hope this helps you.