Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I was told by the Dr the other day I had protein in my urine.

I was told by the Dr the other day I had protein in my urine.

Patient: I was told by the Dr the other day I had protein in my urine a large amount. I have high blood pressure along with high blood sugar. What can you do to reverse this problem ?

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.comI understand your concern.Both the conditions that you have – h ypertension and diabetes mellitus, predispose you to glomerular injury as well as excretion of protein in the urine.In fact high sugars more frequently cause excretion of protein and reduction of albumin.You need to be treated adequately for both, have to ensure BP of 130/80 and keep the sugar levels down to 140 post prandial. Once you do that through medicines, the protein excretion will reverse.Feel free to discuss further,Regards.