I was told today that I have genital warts/condyloma (confirmed).

Patient

Q: I was told today that I have genital warts/condyloma (confirmed by a skin biopsy). 3 different doctors before the biopsy told me they were not warts. The spots that were biopsied were very small (hard to visually see) present for 10 weeks and never grew or changed. They showed up only 2-3 weeks after the unprotected sex in question. Is all of this typical for genital warts? Or is it more likely that they are from another/older partner and have been there for years/just showed up?
more importantly my questions are as follows
1. How accurate are skin biopsies?
2. Once the warts are treated and gone is the HPV still contagious?
3. How contagious is HPV outside of sex? I have a young daughter and am unbelievably paranoid about passing this to her by not washing my hands well enough, diaper changes, baby kisses etc. Is there any chance of passing warts to her? anywhere on her body at all?

Everything I read online is different than the next One site says it can only be passed sexually and another says it can be passed by sharing a towel. One doctor says warts can show up in 4 weeks and another says they cant show up for 10-12 weeks. Why is there not concrete information on this stuff?
Sorry for the rant but im extremely upset and my mental state is falling fast... thanks

Doctor

A:   Hi.
Thank for your query and an elucidate presentation.
I can very well understand the stress and anxiety you must be going through, particularly when you have a pretty princess at home. You do not want her to suffer.

Let us take your points - by points.
The reason for no concrete information on this subject is there are 170 strains/types of HPV, making the situation impossible to predict, Hence there is an ongoing continuous research in this matter and with time there will be further discoveries and addition to the knowledge.

More importantly, my questions are as follows
1. How accurate are skin biopsies?
> These are accurate, of course you are always open to have second opinion of another pathologist if you need to.

> Again the problem with the many many types of warts causing different manifestations, different modes of being infectious. Your body's natural resistance or immunity has a big role in controlling your own infections and a strong immunity can have the best control over the disease. Since you have genital strain, it may not re-appear once treated well and can not cause other types of warts . Hence, I think that you can not transfer this to your daughter.

> You have genital herpes, get well treated and you may not pass this to your daughter.

I hope with the given ambit, this clears your doubts.
Stop worrying.
Keep good hygiene, get properly treated for your HPV and no problems will be encountered.

Take care.

Patient: ok thank you. My only question on your response is you said I have genital herpes? I assume this is a typo, correct? Arent they 2 totally different things?
Doctor: It is written in your question - the very first line......
> I was told today that I have genital warts/condyloma (confirmed by a skin biopsy)......
Yes it it typo. . . not herpes but genital warts.
Genital warts.... They are different. We are discussing HPV. Rest of the discussion remains same.
Get well treated as per the Doctor.
Good immunity building can cure your HPV -
Take care, you will be fine.