Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I was treated for a yeast infection on monday

I was treated for a yeast infection on monday

Patient: I was treated for a yeast infection on monday. They gave me Fluconazole but tonight the itching and burning came back.. what does that mean?

Doctor: Hi.Thank you for writing to us.You have a recurrence of yeast infection. This can happen when you have a resistant strain of yeast. Yeast is a fungus that causes infection.Fluconazole is a medication used commonly for its treatment. Repeated use and incorrect use of Fluconazole can cause resistance. This resistance causes an increase in growth of yeast.Talk to a Doctor to get a Culture and Sensitivity done. Post this, the Doctor will start you on the necessary antifungal needed.Wish you a speedy recovery.