Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I was vomiting and after that I started feeling discomfort

I was vomiting and after that I started feeling discomfort

Patient: I was vomiting and after that I started feeling discomfort in my throat like something was in the way, when I took a picture I found that my uvula is swollen and the end parts of it is see through red and saggy. Is this normal and what should I do to treat it cause it’s very annoying!

Doctor: Hi welcome to Ask The Doctor,it possible that if you feel like there something in your throat and it began after you started throwing up. your throat could just be sore and swollen that happen. Vomiting is generally not a serious health problem. Most often, it is your body’s reaction to a temporary problem.Some of the common causes of vomiting are overeating, drinking too much alcohol, food poisoning, stomach flu, emotional stress, pregnancy, and motion sickness. Have more liquids and soft food diet, this will reduce the discomfort and helps in digestion as well as gives you energy. Ginger is very good to avoid vomitings. Ginger is good for your digestive system and works as a natural anti-emetic to prevent vomiting. Rice water helps alleviate vomiting, especially when it is caused by gastritis. While preparing rice water, use white rice, not brown rice as it is rich in starch and easier to digest. Mint tea can provide relief from vomiting, especially when it is caused by an upset stomach.Hope this helps. All the best.