I went to my ob with a jabbing pain feeling

Patient: I went to my ob with a jabbing pain feeling like it’s coming from my ovieries, my dr did a urine hcg test, and it was negative. I also had an ultrasound to check for cysts on my ovieries. My question is if I am pregnant is it possible to have tested to early with urine, and also with an ultrasound at 3 weeks 6 days, would they have been able to see any signs of a baby?

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.At 3 weeks and 6 days, we cannot expect specific changes of pregnancy in an ultrasound. At 4 weeks or on missing the menstrual cycle, we generally do a pregnancy urine test and if negative, repeat it after 7 days keeping possibilities of a delayed ovulation in mind. Also, scan at 3 weeks and 6 days can only pick up a thickened endometrium which is a predictor of pregnancy. We will have to repeat the scan after 10 days or 2 weeks to visualise the yolk sac and cardiac activity and conclude it to be a pregnancy. Also, we need to rule out an ectopic pregnancy as well. For now, get a beta hCG blood test done at 4 weeks and follow it up with an ultrasound to detect pregnancy.Hope this helped.Regards