I went to the doctor Monday of this week with

Q: I went to the doctor Monday of this week with a hoarse voice, cough, post nasal drip, coated tonsils. He prescribed amoxicillin 3xday 10day course. 2 days ago I developed odd pains in the sides of my head when I would move around. Today the pain is located on the right side of my head. It comes in a series of pain and pressure around my right eye, right temple, and upper right portion of my head. The pain is worse when I move and the pressure/pain is quiet intense. If I lie down on my right side the pain resolves completely. When I get up from lying down the pain returns but not immediately. Usually an hour or so. It also seems to occur after I take my antibiotic. When I cough I feel sharp pains in the upper right area of my head no matter what position I am in. I am not sure if this is a side effect of my antibiotic. Or perhaps irritation from coughing though I haven't coughed a ton. Today I went to an urgent care clinic and the doctor said both my ears were clogged with wax. They cleaned my ears and felt that was the cause of my pain. The pain returned about an hour after I checked out. I am worried about this. I'm not experiencing dizziness, fever, vision issues.

A:   Hi.
Thanks for your query and really an elucidate self explanatory history that you have put up so nicely.

Your history of pains in the right side as you explained and the history of starting the problems with hoarse voice, cough, post nasal drip, coated tonsils, prescription of Amox all noted.

The most probable reason for such a pain which gets aggravated by moving, changing position and coughing all suggest a classical sinus pain. And definitely not related to the wax.

I would suggest you the following:
- If possible to get a CT scan of the sinuses as it will give a definite diagnosis and help planning the treatment in a more precise way.
- Also to get the relevant blood, urine tests.
- In the meantime you need the following combined treatment, please discuss with your Doctor and get started.
* Decongestant nasal drops like Xylometazoline - to be instilled 4 times in a day in lying down position, by touching the sides of the nostrils (inside obviously), to be followed by plain water steam inhalations. In most of the cases this helps to open up the ostia of the sinuses and pain may dramatically reduce or vanish.
* DO not use lozenges or such OTC sas they may give rebound phenomenon, making fast releif but comes back again,
* Proper 8 hourly dosages of an anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen (if it suits you).
* Oral Decongestants and antitussive like a cough syrup.
* Multivitamins and probiotic as a supportive treatment.
* I am sure that you need an added antibiotic, for which you need a prescription of you Doctor, Insist on another added antibiotic.
* Strict bed and voice rest (you have hoarse voice too).
* Plenty of warm liquids orally, maintain hydration. Soft diet.

I have tried my best to give you treatment that helps all my patients and should be helping you too.
I hope this answer helps you, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you need to or if you feel that there is a gap of communication.