Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I woke up this morning with bright red blood in

I woke up this morning with bright red blood in

Patient: I woke up this morning with bright red blood in the mucus in my left nostril. I had a cold for about 3/4 days but hadn’t been excessively blowing and I feel fine now, just a bit run down. Being a bit of a hyperchondriac and a smoker I’m worried I’ve got cancer! I am a 25 year old female.

Symptoms: Coughing at night, feel tired

Doctor: Thank you for writing to us.Cancer is one of the last things that you can have from the symptoms you have described. I suspect that smoking has damaged the lining of the mouth and this has caused some blood to appear when you cough. This is what is causing the blood to appear. Coughing will also produce a pressure that cause the mucosa to break and then bleed.Stop smoking and drink lots of water and have a good source of protein and fruits to help with recovery. If bleeding doesn’t stop in 2 days, please see a Doctor.Hope this helps