Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I woke up with knee pain, I cannot bend it,

I woke up with knee pain, I cannot bend it,

Patient: I woke up with knee pain, I cannot bend it, it is not swollen but sore to touch & move, I am getting tingling sensations down my leg. I also have lower back pain

Symptoms: Tingling sensation, Pain, low back pain

Doctor: HelloThank you for posting your query at ATD for an opinion.I understand your concern and would like to know a lit tle more about your condition.Why are you not able to bend your leg is it due to pain or lack of power?What is your age group?Do you have any past history of low back ache?I would also like to know the exact part of leg have tingling numbness its on outer aspect of leg or posterior /back aspect or inner part?Do you have radiating pain from back to leg?Kindly follow up with answers to these questions for better evaluation of your condition.Feel free to discuss further.Regards

Patient: I am unable to bend due to pain I am a 28 yr old female, I have always had issues with lower back pain but never been diagnosed. The tingling is on the outer leg radiating towards my foot

Doctor: There is a strong probability of the condition arising due to involvement of the nerve roots at the spinal level.
A clinical examination is recommended to evaluate the neurological deficit. My advice is to visit your local orthopaedic doctor for clinical evaluation of your condition.
Feel free to discuss further.

Patient: what does this mean? I was going to visit the ER as the pain is terrible however I changed my mind as its not really an emergency

Doctor: Radiating pain and the tingling numbness in a particular dermatome (area of skin) means that the condition is due to pressure over the nerve. They can be initial symptoms or there can be some degeneration of nerve fibres where some amounts of neurological deficit ie sensory or motor loss of less intensity which is not appreciated by the patient but can be elicited by examining the patient is present. Accordingly MRI scans are advised and the reports are clinically correlated which means level of disc herniation and symptoms if related then the decision is made whether to go with surgical management or conservative management. If there is no deficit with disc herniation but no pressure over the nerve then conservative treatment (medication etc) have a role.
If there are any more questions, please write to us. I’ll be happy to help you.