I woke up with my big toe swollen on the

Patient

Q: I woke up with my big toe swollen on the joint and very sore whats is wrong?

Symptoms:  Toe swollen and sore
I woke up with my big toe s...-1
Doctor

Thank you for your medical query at AskTheDoctor.com
From the images that you shared, this looks like an abscess- acute in origin and very inflamed. It normally doesn't appear overnight like that, but the inflammation looks severe.

I will advise you to visit your GP who can examine it directly and rule out bony swellings. If the abscess gets too tender, then it might have to be drained followed by application of Mupirocin ointment twice daily for 2 weeks . Though it is difficult to say without examining it, from the image, it does look like it might have to be drained. I can also see a pus head in the centre which is suggestive of bacterial infection; hence the Mupirocin ointment needs to be applied. Some doctors prefer to manage it conservatively by a combination of oral antibiotics and Mupirocin, depends on the examination findings completely.

Hope this was helpful,
Feel free to discuss further,
Regards.