I woke up yesterday with a horrible cold - mostly

Patient

Q: I woke up yesterday with a horrible cold - mostly coughing up phlegm - however the phlegm tastes like blood. I haven't noticed any in the phlegm, but the taste is quite strong. I had an abortion about a week ago and I heard that it may be due to low iron..?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

I think that you have a throat infection which forceful cough. The force in the cough causes the tearing of the mucous in the throat which is causing the blood in the sputum. That is what causes the blood to be present in the mouth.

Also, blood tastes metallic in the mouth. Taking medication if you have yellow sputum will help you with the recovery. Talk to a Doctor to get medications to help you.

Hope this helps you. All the best.