I would like to know if irregular periods are good

Patient: I would like to know if irregular periods are good or bad. I am not sexually active which makes me curious as to why I haven’t gotten my period in months. I do get cramps every now and then through out my back going towards my stomach as if I was on my period but there is no sign of anything. I need to know what is going on.

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.Irregular periods cannot be considered as good.Irregular ities in menstrual cycles can occur due to many causes like weight changes, stress and strain, lifestyle modifications, polycystic ovary disease etc leading to gonadal hormonal imbalance, thyroid hormonal imbalance, prolactin level changes etc.As you didn’t get periods even after months and getting occasional backache and abdominal cramps, better to get evaluated.So, please do consult your doctor, get examined and go for investigations like ultrasound, gonadal hormonal profile, thyroid hormonal profile, prolactin levels, hemoglobin and blood sugar levels estimation etc.With this workup, the possible cause of your problem can be identified and treated.Take care.