x
197 Physicians Online

Question:

Ibuprofen and Mobic

Can I take ibuprofen and mobic together for severe shoulder pain? When I took just the mobic, it didn't seem to do a thing for the pain. But ibuprofen has helped a little.

Answer:

Meloxicam is used to reduce pain, swelling, and stiffness of the joints. Meloxicam is known as a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID), and also Ibuprofen, the difference is that Meloxicam is newer than Ibuprofen, but both medications have basically the same effect. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects. Tell your doctor immediately if any of these unlikely but serious side effects occur: easy bruising or bleeding, fast/pounding heartbeats, upset stomach or black stools, changes in the amount of urine. You may take the one that works better for you. The Ibuprofen is maybe one of the most used over-the-counter drugs all over United States; nevertheless, it is a well known fact that, as the rest of non-steroidal anti-inflammatories including Aspirin, Ibuprofen can produce an increased risk of serious gastrointestinal adverse events including bleeding, ulceration, and perforation of the stomach or intestines, epigastric pain, heartburn, diarrhea, abdominal distress, nausea and vomiting, indigestion, constipation, abdominal cramps or pain, fullness of GI tract (bloating and flatulence) and also kidney problems. These events can occur at any time during the drug use and without warning symptoms. Elderly patients are at greater risk for serious gastrointestinal events. In controlled clinical trials the percentage of patients reporting one or more gastrointestinal complaints ranged from 4% to 16%.The recommended daily dose is up to 3200mgs, above that dose there is risk of intoxication and higher risk also of gastrointestinal adverse events as described before.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA