If I have scoliosis, can I do yoga?

Patient

Q: If I have scoliosis can I do yoga? I saw some warning saying that some poses are not good for scoliosis but I want to make sure it's okay.

Doctor

A:   Hi
Thank you for the question.

Scoliosis is a condition in which the spine bends to the side abnormally, either to the right or left. The curvature can be moderate to severe. Any part of the spine can be bent in scoliosis, but the most common regions are the chest area (thoracic scoliosis) or the lower part of the back (lumbar scoliosis). Yoga can help with scoliosis.

Here are a few asana's that can help you out:
- Trikonasana (Triangle pose)
- Veerbhadrasana (Warrior pose)
- Marjariasana (Cat pose)
- Shishuasana (Child pose)
- Paschimottanasana (Seated forward bend)

Talk to a Doctor to confirm you can do yoga as an examination is required.

I hope this will help you. If any severe symptoms develop please seek immediate medical care. I hope this will help you. Take care.