If I take an additional Btwelve supplement without diagnosis of a deficiency will I overdose?

Patient

Q: I'm 15, and have been experiencing bad moods and fatigue. Would it be harmful to take a vitamin B12 supplement of 500 mcg if I have not been diagnosed with a deficiency along with the 9 mcg in my daily vitamin?

Doctor

A:   Vitamin B12 is a water-soluble vitamin that is naturally present in some foods, added to others, and available as a dietary supplement and a prescription medication. Vitamin B12 is required for proper red blood cell formation, neurological function, and DNA synthesis. the recommended daily allowance of vitamin B12 is 2.4 microgram. Vitamin B12 has a low potential for toxicity. Some studes have shown that vitamin B12 supplementation (in combination with folic acid and vitamin B6) did not cause any serious adverse events when administered at doses of 0.4 mg for 40 months and 1.0 mg for 5 years.