Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > If I was a diabetic would my feet itch

If I was a diabetic would my feet itch

Patient: If I was a diabetic would my feet itch. And break out with small bumps that itch

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.comI understand your concern.Diabetics, unfortunately, are prone to foot infections ( especially poorly controlled diabetics ). Also, because of neuropathy they have reduced sensations. So you need to get your feet examined for a possible bacterial/ fungal infection. Fungal infections are more common. The treatment can be based on that. Clotrimazole powder followed by Mupirocin ointment helps in reducing the infection. Sometimes based on the severity an oral course of Fluconazole 150 mg can be given as a STAT dose.Most importantly the sugar values need to be controlled. So also get your FBS/PPBS levels checked.Hope this was helpful.Regards.