If this isn't an allergy what is causing it?

Q: I was prescribed Otodex ear drops for ear pain, which contains active ingredients Framycetin sulfate, Gramicidan and Dexamethasone.

After applying the ear drops, I experienced several itching inside my ears that lasted several hours. I immediately went back to the doctor who prescribed the ear drops, who said that it could not be an allergic reaction because Dexamethasone is used to treat allergy symptoms.

I was not given any alternative for what caused the reaction or any further advice aside from "do not take Otodex in future".
I would have thought that I could have allergies to these medicines, even if it was unusual. If its not an allergy, what else might have caused the reaction?

Symptoms:  Itching inside the ear where drops were applied