If you have a citrus allergy can you eat foods with citric acid?

Patient : If someone is allergic to citrus could they eat foods with citric acid in it?
Symptoms:  when fed citrus like oranges a painful red splotchy rash appears and lasts for a few days.
Doctor :   People allergic to citrus fruits may not be sensitive to citric acid and people who have intolerance to citric acid may not react to the minute levels of citric acid found in various fruits and vegetables. Citric acid allergy 'in the true sense (immunological)' is not known to exist, however intolerance may be seen to large amounts of citric acid, due to its irritant effect. So, you may try consuming food items with citric acid but, under medical supervision.