Ill Daughter

Q: My daughter is running a fever of 102.2 for about two hours or more. I gave her an ibuprofen about 2 hours ago when i first noticed her fever had spiked and an hour later she was up to 102.8 and i gave her a second ibuprofen pill(200mgs)She is 9 yrs old and weighs 122lbs. there is still no change in her fever should i take her to the er

A:   I realize your concern about your daughter’s fever. In my opinion, I suggest you to try to lower her temperature with additional physical methods added to the medicine that she is already taking. The Ibuprofen (200mg) that she took the first time might have been too little in concentration according to her weight, after you gave her a second dose tablet (200mg more) you should expect to see some results.
Dress her in lightweight clothing to allow heat loss through the skin, use a lightweight blanket if she feels cold or is shivering; try to keep your child quiet as activity increases body temperature.
And most importantly give your child extra fluids to prevent dehydration or extra loss of water (water, iced drinks, popsicles, Jell-O, juices)
If the fever continues, you could give her 400mg more of ibuprofen every 6 to 8 hours. The fever might remit after a second dose of Ibuprofen, but if after three doses or the next day the fever stays at the same intensity, you should take her to the E.R for an evaluation and probably more targeted treatment. I wish her a prompt recovery.