Illeostomy turning protruding and turning purple

Patient

Q: My ileostomy is swollen and my intestine seems to be pushing out further. The end of the stoma is turn purple is there anything I can do to alleviate this?

Doctor

A:   You need to see your surgeon as soon as possible! You have developed a complication called prolapse. It also seems that as a result of the prolapse the blood supply to the small intestines has been compromised. This would explain the purplish appearance at the end of the stoma. These complications can become very serious. Please do not delay any longer in seeing your surgeon.