I'm 13, and have never had my period yet My

Q: I'm 13, and have never had my period yet. My mom got hers at 11 and is worried I might have something wrong with me :/ however, for the past 1 and a half years or so my underwear has just been damp. Like it feels wet and is gross. It smells very strong and disgusting, like I can smell it when I'm just sitting down.It doesn't exactly have a color to it, but on my light colored undies it dries up as like a light light brown/ light orange. I take showers every day and have to change my under wear like when I get home from school every day. Is this a sign of when I'll get my period? Also, I'm over weight, and usually heavier girls get theirs earlier like 2 of my friends. One got hers in 4th grade... Any way, please help!

A:   Hi,

Usually some girls may attain menarche up to 15 years of age.
If other symptoms like breast development, pubic and axillary hair development etc are normal, you can wait for few more months.
Decreasing the weight can help in regularization of gonadal hormonal levels and onset of menarche. So, better to do regular exercises, walking etc.
Vaginal discharge can increase physiologically during conditions like ovulatory period, premenstrual period etc.
But just by discharge, we cannot come to one conclusion regarding menarche.
As you are having symptoms like excessive discharge, smell etc, better to rule out pathological cause like infection.
Taking bath and changing inner wear twice a day, using cotton inner wear, avoiding prolonged sitting, constipation etc can decrease the discharge.
If itching, burning etc symptoms develop associated with discharge, better to consult your doctor once and get treated.

Take care.