Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I’m 14 and I have a irregular period? Is that

I’m 14 and I have a irregular period? Is that

Patient: I’m 14 and I have a irregular period? Is that bad!

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.During early years of menarche, some amount of irregularity in periods can be seen due to gonadal hormonal fluctuations.Usually with progression of age your cycles may get regularize.If irregularity persists even around one year after menarche or if you are having symptoms like excessive blood loss or frequent menstrual cycles etc, better to get evaluated.By clinical examination and by investigations like ultrasound, gonadal hormonal profile, thyroid hormonal profile, prolactin levels, hemoglobin and blood sugar levels estimation etc the possible cause of your problem can be identified and treated.Take care