Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I’m 16, I had unprotected sex a few weeks ago,

I’m 16, I had unprotected sex a few weeks ago,

Patient: I’m 16, I had unprotected sex a few weeks ago, he did not ejaculate inside me at all! But not I am 5 days late for my period, however I have had brain surgery in the run up and I am wondering if I’m pregnant or if stress and worry has made my period late

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.Unprotected intercourse and withdrawal techniques always have a high chance of pregnanc y, as even a small amount of ejaculate or a pre-ejaculate can cause pregnancy. The failure rate is around 20 percent and more. Hence always protected sex is advised at a young age especially.Stress also can cause a delay in the cycles.It is recommended that you do a urine pregnancy test now, if negative, repeat the test after 1 week to rule out pregnancy and consult a gynecologist if positive for termination options.Hope this helped.Regards