I’m 17 years old and I’m going through depression.

Patient: I’m 17 years old and I’m going through depression. It’s gotten to the point where I start crying, I have suicidal thoughts everyday. I took about online depression test I scored a 54 which fall’s in 54+ : severe depression. Only my friends know about my depression. What should I do?

Doctor: HelloThanks for using “Ask The Doctor” for posting your query.The symptoms that you have mentioned suggest that yo u could be having a depression. The mood swings that you are describing are occurring due to an imbalance of neurotransmitters in the brain. The neurotransmitters like serotonin, norepinephrine, and dopamine. This condition can be corrected with the help of medicines such as fluoxetine, mirtazapine or venlafaxine. These medicines start showing improvement in 2-3 weeks and the illness requires a treatment of 6-8 months. During this period, try to do regular exercise and eat healthy food and try inculcating some hobby. If you averse to medicines, then cognitive behavioural therapy can help you in the treatment of depression. This is a specialized counselling technique mastered by clinical psychologists and is almost as effective as medicine.You may meet your Doctor and get these medicines prescribed, or you can request for a psychologist consult.Do meet your Doctor.Hope this helps.Wish you a good health.