I'm 20 years old and I'm having trouble getting an

Patient

Q: I'm 20 years old and I'm having trouble getting an erection or keeping one. What should I do to fix this? I exercise regularly, I don't smoke, and I eat fairly healthy. I've had the ability to have sexual intercourse but not as many times as I like. I can get an erection but not keep it. Sometimes I can't even get one.

Doctor

There are many causes for not getting an erection and not being able to maintain the same for long. Excessive masturbation, smoking, mental stress, physical exertion, lack of a bonding with the sexual partner, hormonal imbalances, anatomical causes, venous obstructions, diabetes, altered blood pressure, drug-related side effects, excessive physical exercise, cardiovascular diseases, etc.
Suggest you to first rule out as many as causes as possible from the above list of causes. You may wish to see a doctor for a routine examination as well as to rule out anatomical causes.Investigations like blood tests, hormonal profile and check on blood pressure and sugars may be needed. Also, the doctor would like to know your comfort level with the partner. Based on all of these, treatment may be needed. Many a times, only with behavioural therapy and counselling sessions, the problem is solved. Meanwhile, avoid excessive masturbation, develop an emotional bonding with your partner, use of condoms will help sustain an erection for long, avoid stress, drink plenty of water and have a healthy diet. Sleep for at least 8 hours a day and make sure you involve in a lot of foreplay before penetration.
In the case all these fail, the doctor may prescribe you on oral vaso dilators like sildenafil or injectables. Mechanical devices like penile implants and pumps are also options. Surgical treatment like penile implants, blood vessel surgery to restore the arterial blood flow, etc are other options.
Consider consulting a surgeon for these options only if needed.
Most of the issues resolve with initial steps alone, hope it is the same with you as well.
Hope this helped.