Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I’m 23 and have been struggling with acne forever

I’m 23 and have been struggling with acne forever

Patient: I’m 23 and have been struggling with acne forever and I’m absolutely sick of it. I’m on Ortho Tri-Cyclinde for birth control. I’m been researching accutane, how would that work?

Doctor: Hello. Welcome to ask the doctor.Accutane contains retinoic acid group drug. It is often used in the treatment of ac ne not responding to the antibiotics like azithromycin/ doxycycline.It acts by destroying the sebaceous glands which are responsible for producing acne.I advise my patients to take this drug at night time after meals.Along with it, take plenty of water.Do not pop out the acne.I hope this helps.Take care.