Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Im 24 years old and I’ve been with the same

Im 24 years old and I’ve been with the same

Patient: Im 24 years old and I’ve been with the same guy for almost 3 Years. We recently went on a break and now we are back together. The problem is while on that break I had sex with two other guys. One was drunken sex while I was intoxicated and and I DONT think he used protection and the other time I slept with my highschool sweetheart the condom broke. I took plan b the first time but now I have a pap smear and I already took plan b once this month and I have to take it again. It’s already been 72 hours and I haven’t been able to go to any place because theyre sold out completely. I need to take it but of I take it twice In a month will it cause me to have an abnormal pap and if I take it past 72 hours will it still work? Should I cancel my appointment tomorrow? And also my friend took plan be 4 times in 2 months will she be ok?I plan on getting back on a regular birth control but the closest planned parenthood is 2 hours away. I’m going to talk to my doc about it. I’m just worried and anxious please help! I DONT want to be pregnant OR have an abnormal pap! Should I take it even though I have a pap tomorow? I took it already once this month. Would it affect someone if they took it 4 times in 2 months? Will it still work even tho its been past 72 hours? Will it cause abnormal pap? I’ve never had this problem. Help!!!! I’ve never had an abnormal pap

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query to ATD for an opinion,If you have been involved in frequent sex this month with differe nt partners and that you have already taken plan b earlier this month once but after the second sexual encounter where the condom broke, it would yes, indeed be wise to take another dose of plan b within 72 hrs of the intercourse if pregnancy protection is desired. The efficacy of plan b exists till 120 hrs but the later it is consumed, the lesser the chances of protection from pregnancy. So still plan b can be taken till 120 hrs even if 72 hrs is crossed but one should keep in mind that it may not offer surity against pregnancy..If you have a pap smear tomorrow then if you take a plan b today, then it would not affect the result of PAP SMEAR at all.Thirdly, the most common side effect of frequent plan b intake is delayed next few menses by more than a week to 10 days. Also the menses are likely to be heavier with often clots , so one must be aware of side effects of excessive use of plan b, which is a progestognenic drug.hence it is suggested that you should safely opt for the pill and also for the pap smear without any fear of abnormality due to the pill.I hope I have answered your query in detail,Wishing you good health,Regards