Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I’m 24 years old, never had a pelvic exam. I don’t have anything wrong down there.

I’m 24 years old, never had a pelvic exam. I don’t have anything wrong down there.

Patient: I’m 24 years old, never had a pelvic exam I don’t have anything wrong down there that I know of, I’m nervous to go because of the spectrulum exam is there any way that I wouldn’t have to go thru that and just do it a different way.

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.Let me reassure you that a pelvic or a speculum examination would not hurt you much and t here is nothing that you should worry about. Express your fear and discomfort in prior to the doctor so that the doctor could help you tolerate the same and take steps to make you comfortable. Pap smears can be done very quickly and hardly take any time, you will never realize that it even got over.Also, you will have to see a doctor many times in the future be it for pregnancy, birth control or even any other reason. Hence get used to it and do not worry at all.Hope this helpedRegards