Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I’m 71 yo cauc Male in fair health 5’6″,

I’m 71 yo cauc Male in fair health 5’6″,

Patient: I’m 71 yo cauc. Male in fair health. 5’6″, 190 lbs. (Yeah, I know). On Dec. 23, 2014 my body decided it wanted a nap on the bathroom floor. Early next a.m. I was awakened with severe pain in rt knee. I couldn’t straighten the knee because of the pain so I called for the ambulance. The ER doctor gave me a couple of shots to relieve the pain. Before long I could straighten the knee. Also had pain in foot when I’d turn it. X-Ray of the knee showed nothing unusual so the doc sent me home still buzzed from the drugs with a knee brace. Still in awful pain after a week I saw my regular doc. She couldn’t understand my pain level and sent me home, scheduled meet with a PT. Weeks passed with no less pain. Next visit with my coc she scheduled an appointment with a neuro who ordered X-Rays of my hip. The result, he said was a “bit” of arthritis. I’m trying to tell every body the real pain was the muscles between hip and knee. Now its July, seven months after my fall. The pain is considerably less but gone. I don’t understand how a bit of arthritis can make its appearance so suddenly and cause such pain. The hip feels absolutely fine with full r.o.m. pain free. My doc gave no ‘script for pain. Just take ibuprofen. After these painful months, do you suppose I should see another doc or am I completely wrong and just deal with it?Sorry this is so long. You asked for detailed info you got it. Thanks for your time.Rex

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.comI understand your concern.A bit of arthritis will never cause t he kind of pain that you described ton had. Arthritis pains can definitely come all of a sudden but are way lighter and also the pain gets better immediately on taking ibuprofen.You can meet a second doctor to seek more insight into this. A proper physical movement along with some investigations like ESR, CBC and CTP. If esr and crp are high it would point more towards an inflammatory process going on inside.Also, it is good that the pain has mostly passed. Let’s hope that the scone opinion helps in finding out the possible etiology.Hope this was helpful,Regards.