Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I’m a 16 year old male and I think I

I’m a 16 year old male and I think I

Patient: I’m a 16 year old male and I think I pulled my back this morning in gym. We were playing soccer and I jerked my body to the side. It wasn’t a fast jerk but it was a weird movement. I didn’t get hit by anything and nobody was near me I just jerked it weird. Now it hurts in my thoracic back probably like somewhere in the T-8 to T-12 area. It hurts to breathe and if I bend forward or to far back it hurts. I also can’t twist my back I have to stand/sit up straight for the least amount of pain. I have iced and I have taken some ibprofin but it doesn’t feel like it helps. What should I do?

Doctor: Thank you for writing to us.You should start on RICE treatment to help. RICE stands for Rest, Ice, Compression and E levation.Doing this will help you to reduce the pain and swelling.Rest the back. Do not train the back muscles till the pain goes downIce the area for 15 minutes at a time every hourCompression of the back is usually not possibleElevate the back by sleeping on your stomachYou can take Ibuprofen 400 mg 2 to 3 times a day. Hope this helps you. All the best.