I'm a 16 year old male and I think I

Patient : I'm a 16 year old male and I think I pulled my back this morning in gym. We were playing soccer and I jerked my body to the side. It wasn't a fast jerk but it was a weird movement. I didn't get hit by anything and nobody was near me I just jerked it weird. Now it hurts in my thoracic back probably like somewhere in the T-8 to T-12 area. It hurts to breathe and if I bend forward or to far back it hurts. I also can't twist my back I have to stand/sit up straight for the least amount of pain. I have iced and I have taken some ibprofin but it doesn't feel like it helps. What should I do?
Doctor :   Thank you for writing to us. You should start on RICE treatment to help. RICE stands for Rest, Ice, Compression and E levation. Doing this will help you to reduce the pain and swelling. Rest the back. Do not train the back muscles till the pain goes down Ice the area for 15 minutes at a time every hour Compression of the back is usually not possible Elevate the back by sleeping on your stomach You can take Ibuprofen 400 mg 2 to 3 times a day. Hope this helps you. All the best.

Related Q&A

Q: Hi I have been suffering from ache and tingling in my left arm. I get weakness and pain in my forearm when trying t...

Q: I have a pain, an aching pain just below my rib cage on my right side. Gall bladder? No. I have had an ultrasound and...

Q: Please can you let me know if it is safe to use Dolotram 50mg twice a day for a long period of time. I have been on t...

Q: Hi, could you help me diagnose my throat issue please ? I have been suffering with a general anxiety issue for the la...

Q: Wondering what likely cause of pain in back of left arm might be


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon