I'm a 16 year old male and I think I

Patient

Q: I'm a 16 year old male and I think I pulled my back this morning in gym. We were playing soccer and I jerked my body to the side. It wasn't a fast jerk but it was a weird movement. I didn't get hit by anything and nobody was near me I just jerked it weird. Now it hurts in my thoracic back probably like somewhere in the T-8 to T-12 area. It hurts to breathe and if I bend forward or to far back it hurts. I also can't twist my back I have to stand/sit up straight for the least amount of pain. I have iced and I have taken some ibprofin but it doesn't feel like it helps. What should I do?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

You should start on RICE treatment to help. RICE stands for Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation.

Doing this will help you to reduce the pain and swelling.
Rest the back. Do not train the back muscles till the pain goes down
Ice the area for 15 minutes at a time every hour
Compression of the back is usually not possible
Elevate the back by sleeping on your stomach

You can take Ibuprofen 400 mg 2 to 3 times a day. Hope this helps you. All the best.