I'm a 18 year old male and few days ago

Patient

Q: I'm a 18 year old male and few days ago I was talking to my father who is 53 years of age and he told me that he only has one testicle I asked him why is that he said he was born with only one so I asked him did he ever get any medicL advice he said no as he was born in India and that my grandmother never made anything of it and as the healthcare in the villages was not great and no attention was ever payed to the issue until I heard about it and got worried so I would like to ask what is the cause of this and if anything is wrong thank you

Doctor

A:   Hi.
Very nice to know the concerns for your Father who is 53 years old.

The commonest reason of so called absence of testicle on one side is undescended testis; this mean the testis which are in the abdomen migrate to the scrotum before birth. In the transit they may get stuck in the inguinal canal of the abdominal wall and remain there, unless operated and brought down.

This is what must have happened in case of your your Father.
You still can get him investigated by ultrasonography / CT or MRI and locate.
Now at the age of 53 it may be present as a fibrotic small organ, and if so, nothing needs to be done.

Consult an Urologist in your area and take further informed decisions under his care.