I'm a 25 year old female 5 8' and 126 lbs

Q: I'm a 25 year old female. 5"8 and 126 lbs. I don't eat junk food. Eat mainly fish, red kidney beans, some chicken, pastas, breads, cheese, tomatoes, lots of rice, bananas. I try to eat more vegetables. Also I try to not eat red meat or pork or much chicken. I excercise inconsistently... sometimes 3-4 times a week, sometime 0 times a week. I'm in grad school and it can be stressful sometimes. I take Zoloft (50mg a day) for mild anxiety. That is the only medication I take. I don't drink alcohol, coffee, or do drugs. I drink mainly lemon water and herbal tea. Sometimes orange or apple juice watered down.

So, now that I've given some background.... my question is .. Why the heck is my hair falling out so much?!?

It used to be 3 or 4 times the thickness it is now. My mom and my sisters both have thick hair. And I used to have thick curly hair like my mom. But it's been falling out a lot over the past 4 or 5 years. It is sooo thin now! Scared I'm going to have bald patches by age 30.

Why is it falling out? Is there anything I can do to stop it from falling out?!?

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

Most people lose 50 to 100 strands every day but people can lose up to 250 strands of hair every day. This will be evident when you have a lot of hair present in the comb after combing your hair.

It is possible that it is genetically related and this is causing the hair fall.

Here are a few disorders which can cause hair fall:
- Pregnancy
- Thyroid disorders
- Psoriasis
- Seborrheic dermatitis
- Weight loss
- Excessive Vitamin A

Some hair fall occurs in women because of damage to hair. Do not use dyes, chemicals, hard combing of her, blow irons and flat irons. This causes damage to the hair and leads to breakage. Also, be careful when drying hair, do not dry hair aggressively with a towel.

If you are not better after a week, see a Dermatologist.