I'm a 40 year old female who drinks a lot

Q: I'm a 40 year old female who drinks a lot of alcholo I've recently been having loose stools lighter than normal in colour , also I have a pain high up in my left rib I'm scared it pancreatic cancer

A:   Hello. Welcome to Ask The Doctor. We are here to help you.
In alcoholics, any pain Abdomen needs evaluation for Pancreatic issues. Chronic loose stools are commonly associated with Chronic Pancreatitis.

It's not essential that these symptoms mean pancreatic cancer only but yes pancreatic issues that needs to be evaluated.
You should get an Ultrasound Abdomen and Serum Amylase and Lipase levels.
If the reports give any evidence of Pancreatitis, a CT scan of Abdomen including pancreas would be performed.
In case your reports are clear, a possibility of Acid Reflux should be kept.
You would require to get an Upper GI Endoscopy for that.
A combination of Pantoprazole and Dompridone helps greatly.
I would also recommend you to take pancreatic enzymes for a few days. One which is very commonly available is Creon.
I would suggest you to stop alcohol consumption.

Share my opinion with your doctor.
If you have any further query, please ask me.
Stay Healthy.

Patient: Hi if it was pancearitis would I be in pain all the time
Doctor: Yes, Pancreatitis would cause constant sever pain in abdomen.
Good Luck.
Patient: So if in not in pain all the time , it goes and then a month or so later it's back , could the loose stools b the beer I drink
Doctor: No, beer doesn't come out as loose stools. However, it can cause gastritis, and loose stools.