Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I’m a college student who was at a party in

I’m a college student who was at a party in

Patient: I’m a college student who was at a party in March 2014 wrong place wrong time jump off a 2 story balcony and landed wrong I went to the hospital my knee was very swollen and filled with fluid (blood) the doctor pump it out. Then I received a brace and pills and was sent me home. Told don’t walk on it for about 2 months But I was never told what was wrong.At first I was told I broke my knee , then torn my acl then something else . Just giving me the run around a year later 2015. My knee gives out all the time if I turn or move a certain way I collapse feel like my knee pops out of place and right now I can’t walk on it because I was playing and turned the wrong way. Any suggestions on what I should do please?

Doctor: HelloThank you for posting your query on ATD.I have gone through your query and understand your concern. I think y ou have got ligament injury most probably anterior cruciate ligament as you are having instability.There can be other associated ligament injury such as posterior cruciate ligament and collateral ligament. It will be confirmed by MRI of your knee. MRI is also useful in excluding minor fractures which may be associated. Now you can get your MRI. On confirming on MRI if anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) is found torn then It will require reconstructive surgery of ACL by arthroscopy. For this you will require to consult your local orthopedician. Quadriceps exercises will be useful till then. Analgesic such as ibuprofen will be useful for pain relief.Now you got fresh injury by turning your knee wrong way. It is possible you got fresh injury. It will require rest, Icing, Splintage, elevation and analgesic such as ibuprofen for pain and swelling reduction. vitamin B and C help in healing.Hope your query get answered.Wishing you a good health.Take care.