Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I’m a smoker and having surgery soon I’m stopping smoking.

I’m a smoker and having surgery soon I’m stopping smoking.

Patient: I’m a smoker and having surgery soon. I’m stopping smoking but can I use nicotine gum instead of smoking?

Doctor: Hi.Welcome to Ask the Doctor. Thanks for your query.I have gone through your query in detail and understand your c oncerns.Please find my observations below:- Usually i recommend my patients not to take any form of Nicotine 4 weeks BEFORE and AFTER surgery.- Congratulations that you successfully stopped smoking before surgery, but please try to have the same patience even after the surgery.- You must be aware that Nicotine increases the risk of some complications for surgery including wound healing as it constricts the blood vessels supplying the skin.- To conclude, i would recommend you not to use even Nicotine gums as a substitute for smoking. Please have patience so that you can have a successful surgery.Hope i have answered your query in detail.Feel free to ask for any relevant questions in case if you feel there is any gap of communication.Wish you good luck for your surgery.God bless you.Take care.