I’m a type two diabetic After a urine test my

Patient: I’m a type two diabetic. After a urine test my doctor said I may have DKA. What should I do.

Doctor: HelloThanks for your query on Ask The Doctor.DKA is a medical emergency.Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) is a potential ly life-threatening complication in patients with diabetes mellitus.It happens predominantly in those with type 1 diabetes, but it can occur in those with type 2 diabetes under certain circumstances.DKA results from a shortage of insulin; in response the body switches to burning fatty acids and producing acidic ketone bodies that cause most of the symptoms and complications.DKA may be the first symptom of previously undiagnosed diabetes, but it may also occur in people known to have diabetes as a result of a variety of causes, such as intercurrent illness or poor compliance with insulin therapy.Vomiting, dehydration, deep gasping breathing, confusion and occasionally coma are typical symptoms.DKA is diagnosed with blood and urine tests; it is distinguished from other, rarer forms of ketoacidosis by the presence of high blood sugar levels.Treatment involves intravenous fluids to correct dehydration, insulin to suppress the production of ketone bodies, treatment for any underlying causes such as infections, and close observation to prevent and identify complications.Presence of Ketone bodies in urine determines DKA in patients.By the time you get my reply hopefully you might have recovered fully with medical management.Hope this will help you.