I'm about to start birth control again

Patient : I'm about to start birth control again for the first time in a few months but my period is 5 days late can I start it anyways?
Doctor :   Hi, Thanks for the query. I understand your concern. Usually birth control pills can give protection for the total month when they are started during the menstrual period. So, better to wait till your periods and start new pack. Till that time you can use some other method of contraception like condoms. If there is any possibility of pregnancy, better to rule out by using urine pregnancy test before starting the birth control pills. Take care