I'm an 18 year old female. Have sharp pain in back

Q: I'm an 18 year old female. I've been experiencing a sharp pain in my back around my lung area. It almost feels like it's behind my lung. It's sharp, sudden, and occurs when I move, cough, or even breathe too heavy. I'm not sure what it is. Any ideas?

A:   Hi.
Thanks for your query.

Read and understood your history of sharp, sudden pain on moving, coughing, breathing heavy in the back around the lung area.
The most probable causes in such cases are.
- Muscle spasm in this area.
- Actual inflammation of the pleura overlying the lung in this area.

This can be diagnosed on:
- Actual examination by palpation and auscultation of the area by a Doctor. This is the most important part of the examination as this information can not be given any of the available tests.
- CT scan of the area.

These will confirm the diagnosis and give a plan for further management.

I hope this answer helps you to get an early diagnosis and proper treatment.