Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I’m asking for my mom My mom had childhood asthma

I’m asking for my mom My mom had childhood asthma

Patient: I’m asking for my mom. My mom had childhood asthma and hasn’t had an attack in 17 years. In the last week or 2, during 20 min into aerobic workout, she gets a tickle in her throat when she inhales and she can’t take a deep breath without coughing. Is this asthma or could this be something else? Thank you

Doctor: HelloWelcome to Ask The Doctor.She seems to be have developed an Acute Reflux cough during the workout.In case, it was transient, then Reflux cough is more likely but if that is still persisting then Exercise Induced Asthma is a possibility.ln such scenario, if she still has cough or breathlessness, I advise:1. Hemogram with ESR2. ECG3. Chest XrayIf the Chest Xray and these blood investigations show no sign of infection then, you would be treated for Allergic cough.Initially, you would be treated with a combination of Levocetirizine and Montelukast.But your doctor will examine your chest for any wheezes/spasm.In such scenario, your doctor would prescribe you inhalers containing bronchi dilators like Salbutamol.You might also require short dose of Steroid inhaler like Budesonide.Share my opinion with your doctor before acting upon it.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy