Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I’m coughing up blood

I’m coughing up blood

Patient: I’m coughing up blood

Doctor: Thank you for writing to us.Coughing up blood can occur due to many reasons. Here are some of them:Throat infectio nLung infectionsPneumoniaPulmonary edemaLeft heart failureIf you do not have other symptoms like breathlessness or weakness or chest pain, then it is most likely to be a throat infection.If you have a throat infection and you are giving out yellow coloured sputum, you need to see a Doctor for antibiotics. If you do not have yellow sputum, you can try the following:Ascoril cough syrup 20 ml 2 times a dayDrink lots of waterWarm salt water garglingTake Paracetamol if you have feverIf you do not feel better after 3 days, please see a Doctor. Hope this helps you.