I'm going to Machu Pichu and need altitude sickness medication

Patient : I'm going to Machu Pichu and need altitude sickness medication. I have a sulfa allergy so read that I shouldn't take Diamox. Do I have any other options or how bad will the Diamox reaction be? I get very affected by altitude
Doctor :   Hi, Thanks for writing in to us. I have read through your query in detail. Please find my observations below. 1 . It is best to avoid diamox (acetazolamide) if you have any allergy to sulfonamides. Though most people with allergy to sulfonamides can tolerate acetazolamide, there are people who have developed adverse effects and therefore it is to be avoided. 2. A safer alternative for you might be dexamethasone tablet which is a steroid and can help in prevention of high altitude sickness. The adult dose is 4 mg every 6 hours continuously during your trip for 1 to 3 days and the medicine is to be then tapered over 5 days . Please be in touch with a doctor should your require emergency help during your trip. 3. Wish you a pleasant trip. Hope your query is answered. Please do write back if you have any doubts. Regards,

Related Q&A

Q: I was in vacation and 4 days into the trip I developed a itchy feeling all over my body. I have no bite marks however...

Q: I got a test ige immunoglobulin serum test . The value cams 520 ? What does this mean . I am a 30 years old mum .

Q: My friend took alegra and tussin and speed and now he says he is having a hard time breathing and stayingawake

Q: Hello, I had my nose pierced about 4 weeks ago. I thought I was starting to get an infection but it turned out to be...

Q: I really want a cat but suffer with allergies. Is there any way I can live with one and control the allergy


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon