Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I’m having chest aches and shortness of breath

I’m having chest aches and shortness of breath

Patient: I’m having chest aches and shortness of breath when trying to sleep I’m 24

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.The causes for such a discomfort especially on sleeping could be paroxysmal nocturnal d yspnea, cardiac conditions like angina, heart failure, anemia,hemoglobin dysfunctions like sickle cell disease, asthma, blocked nose, sleep apnea, obesity, gastritis, gastroesophageal reflux disease, etc. You may have to see a physician for a complete examination to rule out each of the above causes. Blood, urine and ECG tests may be needed accordingly to arrive at a diagnosis. Propped up position with well-ventilated rooms will help. Also steam inhalations before going to bed, may be a good option to provide symptomatic relief. Avoid heavy meals at night, keep your dinner light and do not immediately go to bed soon after dinner.Hope this helped.Regards