Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I’m Having Trouble Sleep at Night

I’m Having Trouble Sleep at Night

Patient: Im 15 and i’m having trouble sleeping, it usually takes me between 2-4 to get to sleep so normally get around 4-5 hours sleep if that a night and its been like this for about 4 months now, i’ve recently started to ache all over and feel ill all the time, could not sleeping much have anything to do with it? ive tried various scents, having a bath before bed, i dont drink caffine or alcohol before bed.

Doctor: Around 6 – 8 hours of sleep is necessary for a healthy body and mind. Lack of sleep may make you clumsy, dizzy,fatigued and impair your performance in daily activities, leading to more stress and sleeplessness.You may follow a few tips to help you fall asleep faster at night. Try to keep your room tidy and less cluttered and go to bed at the same time everyday to form a routine for your body and brain. You should avoid excess intake of caffeine during the day, try to finish your dinner about 2 hours before sleeping, and also eliminate excess fluid intake before going to bed. Stop watching TV about an hour before your sleep and try reading a book at bed time. The above recommendations will help you calm down and relax. More importantly, after you fall in bed, perform some deep breathing exercise (inhale for 3 secs hold for a sec and exhale for 3 secs) and stretching and relaxing every muscle of your body from toe to head. A healthy diet and routine exercise will also help.Around 6 – 8 hours of sleep is necessary for a healthy body and mind. Lack of sleep may make you clumsy, dizzy,fatigued and impair your performance in daily activities, leading to more stress and sleeplessness.You may follow a few tips to help you fall asleep faster at night. Try to keep your room tidy and less cluttered and go to bed at the same time everyday to form a routine for your body and brain. You should avoid excess intake of caffeine during the day, and also try to finish your dinner about 2 hours before sleeping, and also eliminate excess fluid intake before going to bed. Stop watching TV about an hour before your sleep and try reading a book at bed time. Doing the recommended this above will help you calm down and relax. More importantly, after you fall in bed, perform some deep breathing exercise (inhale for 3 secs hold for a sec and exhale for 3 secs) and stretching and relaxing every muscle of your body from toe to head. A healthy diet and routine exercise will also help.

Guest: am having sleep paralyses. what i do ?